This is a hot topic, but I agree humans and loss of habitat
are the main threat to birds.

As for keeping cats inside.  I've had cats all my life and they
have always been indoor/outdoor cats.  All of them have lived to
16 to 17 years of age unless they've had some genetic problem like
heart disease.  My cats were all rescues and they lived outside
before I had them, and they are totally miserable inside.

It's really only the last couple decades that cats have been living
indoors, but the invention of cat litter and urban sprawl have made
us think all cats have the perfect life indoors, when in reality,
cats are happier if they can live outdoors. They are programmed to
hunt small animals....which is the best nutrition for them. They need
to climb trees, stalk at night with their night vision, and be free.
Cats were not made for sitting in a window sill, and a prison is a
prison no matter how many cat toys and kitty kondos we buy for them.

It's true that some outdoor cats have a shorter life expectancy, but
this mostly depends on where they live. If they live in a safe area
with little or no traffic then I feel they should be allowed to be
outside. There are some cats who will never willingly settle for the
indoor life.  We live in the middle of the woods on a dead end road
with no traffic and our cats are allowed to go outside. I rarely see
them catch a bird, but they catch many mice & moles.  I feel sad to
see anything killed, but cats and dogs are predators and this is what
they were designed to do.

Lorrie