Does she have congestive heart problems?
Was the fluid analyzed?

-----Original Message-----
From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of
vixen...@verizon.net
Sent: Sunday, May 15, 2011 7:52 PM
To: Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org; HIDEYO YAMAMOTO
Subject: [Felvtalk] Fluid in chest cavity

Hello Everyone,
I've been away from the list for a very long time, but of course we
always come back when we have a baby in trouble.  Hideyo called me and
asked if I would contact you to help with research on how to help a
friend of her's felv+ Tortie girl name Pistachio.

Pistachio is two years old and before this she's had no symptoms and
been very healthy and happy.  For the last couple of weeks she's lost
weight and recently they found out she was building up fluid in her
chest cavity.  They removed 100cc of fluid last Friday 13th, it was
rather clear.  They don't know what's causing (waiting for reports), so
right now the only thing she's on is abx (I asked Hideyo which abx, and
she said she couldn't remember the name, but had never heard of it
before).  They don't know what's causing it, but of course because she's
felv+ they are just blaming that.  After the fluid was removed, she
returned to her happy self and began eating and acting normal.  She's
still okay now, but her breathing is more labored then it would be
normally, (faster respiratory rate).

So, here's the question...  What do you wonderful experienced people
usually suggest first when there is fluid build up?  Are there any
success stories, or does this usually mean the beginning of the end?
Her friend is of course a little panicked and needs help!

Hideyo had wondered about Lasix, but the vet didn't want to use it
because something to do with the location of the fluid deposit (she's a
little vague about exactly why).  Hideyo was thinking Interferon,
Imulin, some sort of diuretic herb, Rutin (sp?)...  What should they do?

I'm writing for Hideyo and her friend because Hideyo's can not get
online until tomorrow at work.   Could you please cc any response
directly to Hideyo's email address until she can re-join the list?
Thank you guys, bless you and your babies,
Nina