I've never heard of a PSA. Is this new?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kathryn Hargreaves" <khargrea...@gmail.com>
To: <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2012 5:43 PM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] ELISA & IFA Tests:

From what I know, there are four:

In-house ELISA
Lab ELISA
Lab IFA
PSA

Is this correct?

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 4:28 AM, Lynda Wilson <longhornf...@verizon.net> wrote:
First of all there are two commonly used types of FeLV tests. One is the
in-office ELISA and the other is the laboratory run IFA test. Both types
test for the FeLV protein p27. However, they detect the protein in different
forms and detect infection at different stages. 1.) If a cat or kitten is
ELISA positive, but healthy, an IFA test should be performed. Here is where
the confusion begins.

If the cat is IFA negative but ELISA positive there are two possibilities. One is a false positive ELISA test and the other is a stage of the disease
is present at which the IFA test doesn't detect infection. Therefore the
suspect cat or kitten should be isolated and retested in at least 6 weeks. If, at that time the cat is IFA positive, you know that the cat if infected.
The IFA is 99% accurate. An IFA positive cat can be shedding virus and
infect other cats and kittens."

Remember to retest 6 weeks after an ELISA positive result, the cat's immune system can clear the virus especially in an adult cat (kittens and seniors
have the most difficulty clearing the virus).

This is what I have always been told by veterinarians and everyone on this
FeLV thread. I have not heard any different. This info is true!

Lynda

Go Get a Life---Go Get a Shelter Animal!

Ask your local animal pound to start saving over 90% of their intake
by implementing the No Kill Equation:
http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/

Legislate better animal pound conditions: http://www.rescue50.org