Actually, what I should have said was to find another vet.  Find one that knows
more about FeLV and knows that it is not an automatic death sentence.  Find one
that knows about the different types of tests and is open minded about FeLV and
treating FeLV.

From: molvey...@hotmail.com
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 23:12:07 -0500
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] (no subject)

No - don't give up on him.  It's too early to make any decisions.  Just because
the vet did one blood test that said he was FeLV positive that does not mean he
will stay that way.  The test they do in the office is a first step.  An
indicator that further testing is required.  That's all.  The vomiting could be
from a lot of different things and isn't necessarily related to the FeLV.

The test they do in the office can show a false positive - in other words, the
test could be wrong.  That does happen in a small percentage of cases.  Those
test are sensitive and can show incorrect results if not handled correctly.
But, assuming the test is showing correct results then there are still other
things to look at before making any decisions.  There is a possibility that the
cat can extinguish the virus.  A percentage of cats that get the virus are
actually able to get rid of it.  A second test called an IFA test will show
whether the virus has progressed to the point of no return.  If that test is
negative then the cat still has a chance to get rid of the virus so you should
wait a couple months or so and re-test.  If that test is positive then it's not
likely the cat will be able to get rid of the virus so you don't need to do any
further testing.

But no matter what the test results are it doesn't mean you have to put him
down.  You can put him down when he's suffering and there's no relief for him.
Euthanasia is about ending pain that cannot be treated, not ending a life
because of what could or could not happen in the future.  You just need to take
care of him and treat his symptoms and who knows when his time will come.  Like
I said above, the vomiting might not even be related to FeLV.  Lots of cats
vomit for lots of different reasons.  Now you do need to figure what's wrong
and fix it because you don't want him to become dehydrated from all the
vomiting.  You tell that vet to figure out what's wrong and don't just assume
he's throwing up because he has FeLV.

I'll let others chime in but don't give up yet.  Get him over this sickness and
just treat him whenever he gets sick but don't assume he's going to die anytime
one little thing goes wrong.  Many cats with FeLV can live several years.  I've
heard of 8, 9 and 10 year olds that are still kicking.  Actually there are some
that go into their teens.  If a cat contracts FeLV when it's a kitten then they
don't do as well and many of them will die within the first 3 years.  Not all,
but a good bit.  But adults seem to be able to deal with it for a long time.