I agree, a vet visit is advised.

First, recheck your records.  FIV is very different than Felv.  You would
prefer to be dealing with FIV.  If it was felv then you may be in for a
very rough road.

Rapid breathing can be from anemia, pain, fluid in the chest, heart
failure, infection (like pneumonia), poisoning, acute hemorrhage into the
chest cavity or sac surrounding the heart, acute issues secondary
to heartworm, and others.  I suppose to get the most bang for your buck,
have the vet look at a blood smear (look for things like bartonella
infection), get a cbc (also from blood), retest for felv, and if they hear
something strange when listening to his lungs, a chest x-ray.  That's still
a fairly substantial cost.

Just rapid breathing, anorexia, and lethargy are nonspecific findings so
it's hard to narrow down the pathology without further testing.  Cats often
stop eating when they don't feel well.

Any other symptoms like diarrhea, throwing up, yellow color to the skin of
the ears or gums, paleness of the gums or pads of their feet (usually they
are nice and pink), problems with urination, seizure activity, sneezing,
coughing, fluid drainage from anywhere, indications of trauma like dog
bite, scratch, any possibility of ingesting something toxic to the cat?

I really hope it is anything but issues with felv.  If he really is felv+
one of the most common issues is anemia usually secondary to a bartonella
infection or bone marrow failure.  A cbc and peripheral smear should tell
you this.  It can be treated but often indicates a decline in your cat's
immune system - which is what felv attacks.

My prayers are with you and your cat.  I hope it turns out to be something
easy to treat.

Jenny

I wouldn't feed a cat, dog food.  They can have problems with that.  A
little is alright but I wouldn't do it exclusively.