My mother died at home.  She was over 90 years old, had fallen and broken her
hip three years prior, would not go to the hospital to have it operated on
because she was a nurse and hated hospitals.  I took care of her for the three
years that she survived.  I had some help, which was very expensive but
couldn't do it all by myself.  I allowed Mom to feel that she was in control
because she was quite a control freak all her life.  She passed away in her
sleep in the afternoon after eating a small portion of ice cream and saying
thank you for everything to the caregiver.  I was working online when the
caregiver came into my home office and told me that she thought my mom had
passed away.  I don't know if Mom was in pain.  She wouldn't allow pain killers
and wouldn't admit to feeling any discomfort.  She had some sort of intestinal
blockage which the doctor who visited twice a month said was probably a
malignant tumor but Mom was stubborn and
 wouldn't admit to having any pain from it. She had been a child actress and I
think she acted all her life, whenever she didn't want to face reality or do
something that was against her need for control.  She was a talented woman who
did the practical thing and went to college, became a registered nurse and
worked in a medical office all her life.  Dad was a doctor.  He passed away
from Alzheimer's Disease 16 years before my mother.  He also passed at home,
quietly after his usual dose of sleeping medication that he had been
prescribed.  My Uncle, my Aunt, my Grandmother all passed away at home.  The
younger generation promised the older ones that no one would be put in a
nursing home and no one was.  But it was very hard on us all because we were
spread in two different areas of the country and we had to rely on hired help.
I don't know about Dad's side of the family except that one brother committed
suicide because of depression.  Most of
 the other members of the family never communicated with us because Dad married
outside of his religion and everyone there had the old fanatic idea about
religion and marriage.

too!