Does this happen with all species?

I think the best thing to do is leave animals alone, too, but when feral
cats bother people to the point where they are going to kill them, it's
probably better to try to get numbers down.   I prefer the methods some
used with wolves, doing tubal ligations/vasectomies instead of messing with
their hormones by taking out the sex organs.  That said, we're real good at
exterminating species, so I hope that doesn't happen with companion animals.

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 9:09 PM, GRAS <g...@optonline.net> wrote:

> *It’s really interesting because when, and that’s rarely, that they reach
> a biological carrying capacity (or in a severe winter and no food), sperm
> counts go down and females, in real dire situations, will actually absorb
> their fetuses.  Also, people mistake deer as starving in the winter because
> they may seem thin, ribs showing, it’s only that thyroxin (a calcium-rich
> hormone) regulates their metabolisms in cold weather….even iof a lot of
> food were available, they might not be able to absorb all the nutrition.*
>
> *The best thing is to leave them alone – thousands of years, and they
> have been able to regulate themselves until commercial hunting almost wiped
> them out at the end of the last century, and states had to start managing
> them to bring back the herds – then they found out what a big business it
> can be (hunting licenses, P-R Act, etc)- now they manage for MSY.*
>
> ** **

----------------------------
Go Get a Life---Go Get a Shelter Animal!

If you can't adopt, then foster "bottle baby" shelter animal, to save their
life.  Contact your local pound for information.
<http://www.laanimalservices.com/volunteer_fostercare.htm>

If you can't bottle feed, foster an older animal, to save their life, and
to free up cage space.

Ask your local animal pound to start saving over 90% of their intake by
implementing the No Kill Equation:
http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/shelter-reform/no-kill-equation/<http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/>

Here's the current growing list of true No Kill communities:
http://www.nokillhouston.org/no-kill-shelters-in-north-america/

Legislate better animal pound conditions: http://www.rescue50.org

More fun reading: http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/shelter-reform/guides/

More fun watching: http://vimeo.com/nokill/videos especially
http://vimeo.com/48445902

Local feral cat crisis?   See Alley Cat Allies' for how to respond:
http://www.alleycat.org/page.aspx?pid=537