 Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 09:16:13 -0700
From: moonsiste...@yahoo.com
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] President

I've never been a list moderator or been a position to direct anything except
to try to direct a bunch of cats to use the litter boxes.  However, let me just
add a bit of wisdom or non-wisdom, however you want to view it.  Discussing
politics and religion usually causes minor skirmishes and major wars on any
list or even in a group around the dinner table.  We all have opinions.  If the
opinions are about food, clothing, the color of the freshly painted house down
the street, why the neighbor would ever buy a Chihuahua/Great Dane mix dog or
anything but religion and politics, we state our opinion, have a chuckle
sometimes, compliment each other for being able to put a few words together in
a sentence and go on with the day.  But just start a thread in a group about
politics in an election year and all
 h*** breaks loose.  Even if half the list is in agreement that one or another
candidate is a total screw-up, the other half of the list goes bananas and
defends their total screw-up to the last flaming word.  Unfortunately this is
because most people don't use logic and research to pick a candidate.  So what
you get is pure emotion. Other people know deep inside that they are supporting
someone who isn't exactly wonderful but they are not going to vote for that
OTHER PARTY because mom, dad, grandma, granddad never voted for that PARTY. It
is my opinion that most elections are based on who can sell the product better
and the prejudice of the voters for or against the actual person.  I don't mean
color or ethnic group although that also comes into the mix.  What I mean is
that no one even goes to check out the facts.  Like we are now having a problem
with whether Romney strapped his dog carrier to the top of his car.  Or
 in the past, whether Mr. Obama was a citizen of the United States, or whether
he was a secret Muslim. These are all smoke screens to keep people from
thinking about real issues, like the price of food constantly going up, how
much money  the oil companies are actually making when they raise the price of
gas every time someone mentions Iran or Iraq or any other issue  important to
our daily lives.  If I spend an hour doing a search on how many bills were
passed by the candidates that benefited me or took away something for me, I
would do much better as an informed voter than if I spent my time reading about
Romney's dog or Obama's birth certificate.  This, I think, is why we get angry
with someone who has an opinion that does not match ours.  We are not really
solidly informed before we take the opinion in the first place.  Like standing
on the edge of a cliff, afraid that someone will push us off and lying to
ourselves that
 if we scream loud and long enough, we won't lose our balance.  Maybe we should
just stick to cats and trade information on how to make their lives better and
longer.

 Spay and Neuter your cats and dogs and your weird relatives and nasty
neighbors too!