 From: Christiane Biagi <ti...@mindspring.com>
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 12:49 PM
Subject: [Felvtalk]  "No-kill" animal shelter killing FeLV+ cat

The caveat to the “no kill” (as defined in the Asilomar Accords) is that all it
means is they will not kill adoptable animals.  Unfortunately, its up to the
individual shelter/rescue to define what they consider “adoptable”.  All too
often, facilities that advertise themselves as “no kill” really mean that they
will kill all ill, senior, problem behavior, etc. animals but never kill a
healthy easily adoptable animals.  These kinds of facilities never ever publish
their "euthanasia matrix” which is where they define their policy on who they
will kill.  True no kills (as we think it means & as defined by Nathan
Winograd) are tough to find.  I volunteer for one such shelter in New Orleans
(ARNO) & the handful of animals they’ve put down have been terminally ill
animals who were either comatose or in intractable pain.  They never put down
for fiv or felv!

The shelter you cited clearly is a kill shelter & why they wouldn’t have
alerted you to the cat’s test results & given you some time demonstrates an
attitude that is unfortunately all too common.  I’m so sorry this happened to
you but please know that River had love from you—something she likely hadn’t
had in a very long time.