With Legolas, the depo was kicking in the day he got it, and lasted about a week.  Towards the end, it would last about 4-5 days.  I didn't think of asking about giving pred or dex. Pred helped Slick Willy when he got lung cancer in 2001- he got that and a bronchodilator and it gave him a couple comfortable weeks.  When his Dad had the same thing about 3 months before, he didn't show symptoms until the day he couldn't catch his breath, and then, when they did the x-ray to look for pneumonia, they found both lungs were solid white - so it was a very fast growing and aggressive cancer.  I hope the steroids continue to give him good days.