From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of catatonya
Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2005 3:31 AM
To: felvtalk@vlists.net
Subject: Re: Levi's result

Kerry,

If your vet is saying "toxic", I assume that to mean kidneys.  That means lots of fluids to flush out the kidneys.  If you can't give fluids (I've had ferals.  I know how that goes.) you might try letting the water drip from the sink or getting one of those 'kitty fountains'.

My cat who had kidney disease loved to drink water from those and would drink more that way without me having to give him fluids as often.

Also, use more canned food.  It has more water content.  You could actually water it down a bit to get more fluids in if he'll eat it.

Try tuna juice, chicken broth etc... He needs fluids as much as the food right now if the kidneys are involved....

Kerry MacKenzie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I don't know about feline interferon. I give the human interferon in their dishes, and do my best to make sure each cat takes one 'helping'.
Yes, all 5 of my 'foster' cats are feral. 4 are FeLV pos and 1 is neg.
Giving subQ fluids is very stressful for all of them.
I really don't want to repeat it. (Right now Levi is not dehydrated fortunately.) The subQ fluids didn't help Caramel ultimately, and the business of catching him put them all, and him most of all, thru tremendous stress.
I'm convinced that (the stress) played a big part in diminishing all their appetites. So where feral is concerned, I'm not keen on doing any more subQs.
Kerry