Dear Kerry:

If Levi is still drinking and staying hydrated (Can you touch him enough to
do a "pinch test" on the skin on back of his neck between shoulders?) he can
miss a few meals and it is not critical, though cats can't go as long as dogs
or
humans without eating solid food; for whatever reason they are prone to fatty
liver syndrome (? -- I don't think that is the exact term)...it has been
mentioned by others on this list recently who were concerned about their
furkids
not eating.

Wild animals will usually try to go off some place by themselves and hide
when they sense it is their time to pass away.  Some domesticated cats will try
to do likewise if given the opportunity.  Many domesticated cats and dogs who
are closesly bonded with their humans, however, seem to welcome the comfort we
offer them and sometimes their feline or canine companions will also offer
comfot as well.  I had a geriatric kitty named Caramel (the one who was cruelly
and forcibly PTS by that vet-from-hell last February, if anyone remembers...)
who was downright altruistic when it came to offering comfort to his sick
and/or dying comrades, and he deserved no less than that, himself.  He would
stay
by his/her side and snuggle to keep his buddy warm and wash him/her tenderly.
It depends on the individual critter.  Some will seek isolation and a cool,
dark place to hide, while others will be almost clingy and seek warmth and
comfort.  As Levi is a feral, it is likely he may seek to isolate himself from
the
others if he feels his time is near.  Maybe the kitty litter makes him feel
closer to the "earth" and outdoors?  Unless you ask him, who knows?

In his book, Natural Health for Dogs and Cats, Dr. Pitcairn has chapter on
dealing with the death of a pet and there are homeopathic remedies that are
applicable for bringing some relief to a pet as it prepares to check out,
depending on what type of behavior it displays.  I've never had cause to use
any of
those he recommends, however.  My kittys who have chosen to pass on their own
were able to do so quite peacefully and without any outward sign of intense
discomfort.  An animal communicator who is also skilled in energetic healing
was
able to help both of my FeLV+ furbabies be more relaxed and comfortable as they
crossed over.

I had to help my horse in crossing as there was no way to keep her pain
stabilized or keep her on her feet and horses are a bit like whales beached out
of
water, if they stay "down" too long the weight of their own bodies makes it
difficult to breathe and causes the motility in their gut to diminish...nature
intended them to be on their feet and ready to flee from predators at a
moment's notice; they are a grazing animal and keeping moving helps keep their
gut
working properly.  We do them a disservice when we confine them to stalls or
corralls and feed them large amounts of food twice daily.

I don't envy you having to comtemplate such possibilities.  And I am hoping
it will be a long while before I have to do so again.

Here's hoping you can get Levi to the vet on Wednesday and there will be a
way to help him get well.

Sally in San Jose