On 1/18/23 14:28, Anton Khirnov wrote:
Quoting James Almer (2023-01-16 14:38:14)
It's been a while since the last bump, so it's time to do some cleaning and
remove deprecated APIs. This will also give us an "Open ABI season" in which we
can do breaking changes (like changing public struct offsets, public enum
values, adding fields to structs that have their size tied to the ABI, etc) for
a few weeks.

Last time this open season lasted something like half a year and only
ended when I arbitrarily said it did.

So I'd suggest to decide right now how long will the instability period
last (6 weeks should be enough for everybody) and write the end date at
the top of doc/APIchanges.

Another thing I'm not entirely happy about is versioning during the bump
and instability. While the remove-then-bump approach does make bisection
easier, it also creates commits that lie about their ABI version.

If the bump comes before the resulting removals, then wouldn't the removals strictly speaking exist inside the instability period as they immediately follow a version bump? This sounds like it keeps our promise.

- Leo Izen