Le 7 février 2024 23:19:41 GMT+02:00, James Almer <jamr...@gmail.com> a écrit :

>>> Do you have setups and reasons why you can't update them
>>> that don't support C17 or are you speculating?
>>
>> I don't have any personal reasons why I can't support C17 immediately, but
>> C11 now / C17 in a year seems like an approach more likely to find consensus
>> than C17 immediately (or bumping to C17 in a minor release). It was also
>> roughly the approach proposed in person at FOSDEM.
>
>What are the fixes in c17 that we would benefit from, that compilers from
>before 2017 would be affected by?

Besides editorial corrections with no practical impact, C17 allows initialising
atomics directly, without ATOMIC_VAR_INIT. This shouldn't be a problem for any
real C11 compiler, but I haven't checked.

Then it also allows atomic load from const-qualified pointers. I don't know if
this is relevant to FFmpeg.

There may be other small differences that I don't remember or know of.