Feb 8, 2024, 20:05 by jamr...@gmail.com:

> On 2/8/2024 3:52 PM, Sean McGovern wrote:
>
>> Hi developers,
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 7, 2024, 23:30 Jean-Baptiste Kempf <j...@videolan.org> wrote:

>>> C11

>>> a standard).

>>> My recommendation is still this:
>>> - move to C11 now
>>> - activate C17 on some Fate/CI targets
>>> - recommend C17 compilers modes
>>> - move to C17 at this mid-year when 7.1 is branched (LTS if we follow our
>>> plans)
>>>

>> I like this approach. It's a shame we can't get metrics on who might be
>> genuinely affected by a direct move to C17.
>>
>> I'd be more than willing to host one or more FATE nodes with C17 turned on.
>> Do let me know if this is desirable.
>>

> At least for GCC, -std=c11 is the same as -std=c17 except for the
> __STDC_VERSION__ value. As in, apparently all the fixes are implemented
> either way. And as far as i understand it, we would require c11 but use c17
> if present (Meaning, test std=c17, fallback to std=c11, abort if not
> possible), so all FATE instances using a relatively recent compiler will
> invariably use c17.
>
> What we would need is instances with old compilers, pre-2017, to get actual
> c11 testing.

We have plenty of old compilers on FATE, don't we?
I think the point of bumping the build-time requirements is to get rid of them,
and maybe we could use the chance to also get higher-quality metrics on
whether we can use the chance to reenable stuff like tree vectorization again
without old compilers miscompiling.

I could live with C11 for 7.0, but I would prefer to bump to C17 soon after
this release is made, rather than waiting for the middle of the year to have
to discuss this again.