On Wed, Jul 10, 2024 at 4:04 PM Zhao Zhili <quinkbl...@foxmail.com> wrote:

> > On Jun 12, 2024, at 21:42, Matthieu Bouron <matthieu.bou...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > This patchset adds Mediacodec audio decoders support. Currently, only AAC,
> > AMR,
> > MP3, FLAC, VORBIS and OPUS are supported.
> >
> > This is mainly useful to avoid shipping Android builds of FFmpeg that are
> > subjects to licensing/patents (due to AAC and AMR).
>
> I’m not keen on put OS audio decoder/encoder wrapper into FFmpeg. They don’t
> bring
> new features, they don’t improve performance. I know these type of wrapper
> exist in current
> project, but I’m not sure if it’s a good idea to add more.

I agree that on the technical side it doesn't bring new features nor
performance improvements. It's all about avoiding licensing/patents
issues with AAC and AMR here.
In this specific case we already have the wrapper infrastructure, the
audio part only needs small adjustments to work.
Moreover, if that helps, I can reduce the scope of the patch to AAC
and AMR only and get rid of mp3/flac/vorbis/opus support. What do you
think ?

> This is a policy issue rather than technique issue, it requires more people
> to discuss and
> decide.

[...]