On Sun, 27 Sep 2015, Clément Bœsch wrote:

On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 11:57:41AM -0400, Ganesh Ajjanagadde wrote:
On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 11:40 AM, Clément Bœsch <u...@pkh.me> wrote:
On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 10:12:52AM -0400, Ganesh Ajjanagadde wrote:
[...]
Yes, I consider the current usage terrible unless I am missing
something. volume filter is static, so once set, I can't adjust the
volume until I reinsert a new volume filter, etc. I can't simply
adjust the volume like I can with vlc/mpv with a simple keybinding.

There is a process_command() mechanism too if you want to change settings
on the fly

Hmm... that seems to be a libavfilter thing. We could consider adding
that to the volume filter.

volume filter already supports it (see avfilter_process_command() and
process_command callback in the filter code)

FFplay pre-calculates up to 9 frames in the audio decoder thread, so using a filter for volume control would add (a codec-specific) latency. Not impossible to find compromise between latency and using a filter for control, but it requires a bit of further tuning and/or changes.

Regards,
Marton