That's a great idea to use specified colours directly supported by ffmpeg
and helps narrow down the issue a lot!

Would you count this as a bug? If this is a known legacy quirk, it seems
one of the ugliest and most misleading quirks I have seen in a while, and I
could
imagine being responsible for wasting thousands of hours of thought based upon
mis-diagnosed colour-profiling assumptions.

I've spoken with two separate long-time video professionals so far, and they
were both convinced this was a colour profile thing and that my source images
were the problem, and not ffmpeg's behaviour, despite saying I checked both
BMPs in a hex editor, and they were byte-identical (other than
resolution/filesize).

Are you using Windows per chance? To make things even more confusing, one
of the aforementioned pros says he can't spot a difference on his non-Windows
system (presuming Mac, could be Linux) between the two output mp4s' colours.

I'm almost suspecting this is a problem only with the Windows version of ffmpeg,
or at least with the OS's viewer (e.g: Chrome / Classic Media Player). Maybe
Paul
could confirm that.

Dan

On Wed, 14 Sep 2022 15:49:23 +0100, Michael Koch <astroelectro...@t-online.de>