Fiber for beginning spinners....I think it depends at least to some extent on what spinning method you're using at this point.

Are you still spinning short draw, or are you moving to a long draw method? And are you learning to slow down your treadling, or are you still treadling like running to a fire? :)

If the short draw, it doesn't much matter what you're spinning, although shorter fiber will be easier than longer when spinning any sort of short draw.

Long draw is easiest with a light, airy fiber prep. Not much commercial top fits in that category, not all commercial roving does. Hand carding, drum carding, and hand-combed top can all be spun long draw with ease. Fiber length dictates best prep method--fiber length up to 5 or 6 inches for handcarding; fiber 4 inches or longer for combing; while most drumcarders can take any length up to about 8 inches.

If you're still treadling very fast like many beginners, short, fine fibers like Merino are ideal and love the extra twist. If you can control your treadling to *just* what's needed to keep the wheel going round, then longer, coarser fibers are practical.

Although many people recommend Romney, it's not a fiber I personally like very much--it's always seemed quite coarse to me. I prefer Border Leicester, which has always been softer than any Romney I've seen, while having similar length and crimp. The length is good for drumcarding it yourself. Shorter wools of this general type can be handcarded, longer (over 6 inches) is easier combed than handcarded.

If buying raw wool, make sure (except for Lincoln, Icelandic, and a couple other breeds that grow 12" or more in a year) to get a full-year's growth of wool. I've seen far too many medium-breed sheep with a staple of only 8" sheared twice, and that makes for unpleasant spinning and a wiry yarn.

And of course, make sure the wool is decent quality, whether raw or processed. Hold roving up to the light to see if it's full of VM (vegetable matter) or any 'lumps'. Pull just a little fiber from the tip to see what the length of it is, and whether there's lots of short fibers mixed in with long that shouldn't be there (some wools are double-coated, and would have 'legitimate' short fibers--other wools aren't and unless there's a blend of other fiber in with the wool, short bits mean broken fibers from processing). Make sure it doesn't feel greasy or sticky--means not all the grease was scoured out before processing, a problem with cottage mill roving I've often found. The fibers should pull out smoothly and with little effort.

Hope some of this helps--it's a surprisingly difficult question to answer for a beginner, since so much depends on where you are in your spinning experience, what equipment and fiber you have available, and how much experimentation you're willing to put in :)

Holly

To stop mail temporarily mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the message: set nomail  To restore send: set mail