Progressive News & Views (since 1982)
Seems our boy Souder has lost a big chunk of his only claim to (in)fame!

Skywolf.

  _____
From: DRCNet [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 3:24 PM
To: Neal Smith
Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT: DRCNet Releases First Major Report

 <http://stopthedrugwar.org/wrapper.html>
StoptheDrugWar.org: the Drug Reform Coordination Network

Dear friend of DRCNet,
I am pleased to announce the release of our first major report, "
<http://www.raiseyourvoice.com/statereport/fallingthrough.pdf> Falling
Through the Cracks: Loss of State-Based Financial Aid Eligibility for
Students Affected by the Federal Higher Education Act Drug Provision,"
published under the auspices of the Coalition for Higher Education Act
Reform (CHEAR), a group DRCNet founded and has coordinated since April 1999.
"Falling Through the Cracks" comes out at the same time as Congress approves
a rare rollback of a federal drug law, the restricting of the HEA drug
provision to people who were already in school at the time they commited
their offenses, as we reported in Drug War Chronicle
<http://ga0.org/ct/Zp14_RY1BmpL/>  this week. The report shines a light on a
previously unreported consequence of the federal Higher Education Act drug
provision, the loss of state financial aid as well to students losing
federal aid because of drug convictions even though the legislatures of
their states have never voted on that policy. Click
<http://www.raiseyourvoice.com/statereport/fallingthrough.pdf>  here or on
the link in the first paragraph above to read it!
Press coverage so far has included a really nice piece in yesterday's USA
<http://ga0.org/ct/Vd14_RY1BmpA/>  Today, as well as a mention in an
Associated Press story, radio coverage by the show Democracy Now, and more
on the way. The AP article features Clarkson Reed, a DRCNet supporter who
got in touch with us when we held our Perry
<http://ga0.org/ct/Z714_RY1BmpS/>  Fund reception in Seattle last June and
offered to tell his story.
This report is the first step in an expansion of DRCNet's scope as we make
our way through 2006. Along with taking HEA to the state level, we plan to
use our coalition approach to organizing around other federal and state drug
laws too. More on this to come in future bulletins.
Please <http://ga0.org/ct/V114_RY1Bmp_/>  make a donation today to support
this and other work of our organization -- grants are only part of our
funding, donations from members are extremely important too -- we can't do
it without you. Donations to DRCNet Foundation to support our educational
work are tax-deductible, and can made online or sent to: DRCNet, P.O. Box
18402, Washington, DC 20036. Donations to support our lobbying work can be
made to Drug Reform Coordination Network, and are not deductible. Contact us
if you would like instructions on donating stock.
Thank you for being a part of our organization. Please feel free to send a
note and let us know what you think about our report or any other aspect of
our work -- I hope to hear from you.
Sincerely,

<http://img.getactivehub.com/act2/custom_images/drcnet/signature-small.gif>
David Borden, Executive Director
Drug Reform Coordination Network
Washington, DC
http://stopthedrugwar.org <http://stopthedrugwar.org/>

  _____

Visit the web address below to tell your friends about this.
 <http://ga0.org/join-forward.html?domain=drcnet&r=P114_RY1AzCZ>
Tell-a-friend!

If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for DRCNet
<http://ga0.org/drcnet/join.html?r=P114_RY1AzCZE> .

This message was sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Visit your subscription
<http://ga0.org/drcnet/smp.tcl?nkey=wswx874v5k7mki&;>  management page to
modify your email communication preferences or update your personal profile.
Click here
<http://ga0.org/drcnet/remove-domain-direct.tcl?ctx=center&nkey=wswx874v5k7m
ki&>  (or reply via email with "remove" in the subject line) to remove
yourself from ALL email lists maintained by DRCNet Rapid Response Team.

 <http://www.getactivesoftware.com>
  <http://ga0.org/nlor/wswx874v5k7mki>

      -----
     / o o \
Hank Roth's Place - http://pnews.org/
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (on the InterNUT since 1982)