Rob Geraghty wrote:

> FWIW I was going to buy a SS4000 before I decided on the LS30,
> and the *only* reason I was forced to change my mind was cost. I
> still believe that in it's price bracket, the SS4000 is the best
> scanner I know of on the market.  Unfortunately, we can't all
> afford it.

As a hobbyist, it was more a question of being married to a
woman who said, "Go ahead, buy it." <g> It helps that she
likes photography, and that her efforts are looking very good.

We got into digital darkroom work by purchasing the
Photosmart printer and scanner. That purchase ended
decades of disappointment with photo labs. It even beat the
venerable Slideprinter for results.

Still, there were some slides and negatives that brought the
scanner to its knees. Then I bought the SS4000, based in
large measure on Tony's review. Using Vuescan 6, I have been
systematically throwing all my killer slides and negatives at it,
and for fun, scanning a few with the Photosmart to compare.

These are my own killer images, and they make the
Photosmart, a decent scanner, look bad. The Polaroid, on the
other hand, will get almost every bit of information off of a slide
or negative that I can see with a 10x loupe and a light table.

No scanner is perfect. I often wish for digital ICE, and that the
thing didn't look like an ugly, black shoe box. High density, 50
pin SCSI connectors would be nice, and I never have been
able to get Insight to produce an acceptable scan. Still, I'm
glad I bought it, and I will hang on to this scanner for quite
some time.