----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2000 11:40 PM
Subject: Re: Group Scan site has posted SS4000 scans

> The best way to see if the hardware has noise is to carefully
> analyze the raw scan from the scanner.  Just get a histogram
> of the darkest part of a scan and check the histogram width.
>
> Regards,
> Ed Hamrick

OK, for light reading I've attached a zip file containing these two histograms.
The ss4000 histogram is after I resampled it down to 2720 dpi in Photoshop.
This averages the noise and gives the Polaroid a head start which it needs when
going up against the Canon [1].

And it turns out I had saved a 16 pass version of the Canon back when I scanned
this slide (actually it might have been only 8 pass but who's counting).  Since
this feature is available on the Canon (but not on the Polaroid) I figured it
was fair to use that image [2] (it was a jpeg also).

It's not the raw scan from the scanner but the protocol does specify bp=0.0%
and wp=0.001%, default white balance and no filtering etc which presumably is
close enough.

I was going to attach the corresponding cropped hat sections for people to look
at but they were just too big for a mailing list.   So I'll just summarize what
I saw.  Visually the noise was

In conclusion, the histogram tells the story.

Cheers,
Byron  :))

[1] - Just joking folks, keep your shirt on... :))   But it really is resampled
down to 2720 dpi to match the Canon, I wasn't kidding about that [2].

[2] - Actually, I decided that adding a few more variables will allow everyone
to interpret the answer as they want and thus everyone can go to bed happy...
:))