These are the same problems, although to a much greater extent, with the old kinescope
recorders that predated video tape.

I will continue to look for a glass/chrome USAF target and try to get a good contact
made on film.  In the meantime, I believe a well honed straight edge
masked to a strip of film could produce a sharp high contrast edge (properly exposed).
 When scanned at maximum optical resolution, a gradation of 3 to 4
pixels would be very good, I think.

Jim Sims