"Hemingway, David J" wrote:

> God I hate to allow the film recorder demons out of the bag but here goes.
> The actual resolving power of a HR6000 is probably along the lines of 1000
> lines and with a totally white background probably less. Addressable
> resolution means you can hit the exact area on the CRT but because of design
> limitations that are directly related to money you are also illuminated a
> whole bunch of other pixels in the area. You absolutely need some pixel
> overlap to get a smooth image but the lower price units have much more pixel
> overlap than more expensive units.
> David

David,

You know that you are now going to have to have your memory totally
erased, having revealed major trade secrets here.

For a long time, I have wondered about film recorder specs, and why I
couldn't see any reason (at least on the spec sheets) to justify paying
4-10 times more for one unit than another.

You do realize in clarifying this matter, you now have triggered massive
paranoia on my part about what to make of the specs film scanner
manufacturers so comfortably use.  And you also bring the issue of what
trade selected specs really mean to the potential purchaser.

This really explains the need for independent testing methods that
places one manufacturer's model against another.

Art