Al,

I would think there would be no advantage to 16 bit scanning to print.

If you are having problems processing large files, make sure that your display and
sound cards are not sharing an IRQ (this may not show up as a conflict in
Device Manager).  Also make sure that your display driver supports the version of
DirectX that you have installed (you can determine the DirectX version by
running DXDIAG; start/Run/DXDIAG).  The latest versions of the card manufacturer's
display drivers usually support the latest version of DirectX.  Also, be
sure that "Plug and Play" (sometimes listed as PNP) in your system BIOS is enabled.
ATI and other display card makers have also recommended that the "AGP
Aperture" (also located in the BIOS setup) be set to the amount of RAM installed on
the machine.

A friend, who has a new Dell computer, was having problems processing large graphic
files (lockups and GPF blue screens).  I found that "Plug and Play" was
disabled, the AGP Aperture was set at 64 mb (he has 256 mb of RAM), his video driver
supported DirectX 5 (he had DirectX 6 installed), and his display and
sound drivers shared an IRQ.  After enabling the Plug and Play and setting the AGP
Aperture to 256 mb (in the system BIOS), and re-installing his sound drivers
his computer performance was greatly improved.  He is now running Windows ME and
therefore has DirectX 7 installed.  His display driver has not been upgraded
because there is no driver upgrade to Windows ME currently available.  The WDM (aka
WHQL and IEEE1394) drivers differ from the virtual drivers for previous
operating systems.

As for Epson, I solved my installation problems (I'm running Windows ME also) by
installing the Windows 2000 driver set for my Epson 1200U scanner (Epson later
recommended this).  For my Epson 1200 printer I copied the Windows 98 and Windows 2000
driver files into a common folder and let the installation take what it
wanted (which included some Win 2K files).  It worked for me.

An Epson tech told me that the success rate for installing Epson printers on Windows
ME is currently about 50%.  He said that they are working on new drivers
for Windows ME but Microsoft brought their new OS out sooner than they expected.

Hope this helps,

Jim Sims