WALTER writes ...

> The SprintScan 4000 allows me to select "raw color positive" (or
negative)
> and scan at 4000 dpi.  I can save that scan as a TIFF file at 12 bit
with no
> gamma or other correction, or, I can make gamma corrections in the
scanner
> software and save the file at 8 bit.  Is it better practice to save
it
> uncorrected at the higher bit depth and make all changes in PS or to
make
> the gammma corrections in the scanner software and save as an 8 bit
file?

    Either choice would depend on the "quality" of the software ...
the tools provided, their accuracy, and how easy they are to use.
That is, if the scanner software and post-scan software (e.g.,
Photoshop) were equal in quality, then there'd be no difference ...
and you could make all adjustments with the scanner software, scan to
a 24bit RGB file, and send it straight to the printer (... and save
your self quite a bit of hardrive space ...).  However, scanner
software is hardly ever as good as softwares like Photoshop, and if PS
is available to you, then you are probably better off with its
high-bit tools and applying adjustments to 12bit scans (... but those
100Mb files!? ...).  The highbits method will also put your CPU and
RAM and harddrive I/O to work ... better be ready.

shAf  :o)