Gordon wrote:
>There is an alternative to PhotoShop if anyones interested... Linux,
>VueScan and GIMP... I'm no expert, but as far as I can see, I can do
>everything that I want to do in GIMP - cropping, touch-up, colour tweaking
>and so on (any number of undos) and with the GIMP-Print module, slides
I'm
>scanning, GIMPing and printing (Epson 1270) are coming out absolutely
>superb.

Hm, but what about colour management?  Someone posted a while back that
people were working on the issue in Linux, but AFAIK there's no current
CMS?  What colour space does GIMP use?

In Windows I generally use Paintshop Pro - which does pretty much everything
significant that Photoshop does (and has a much friendlier printing interface)
but is limited to sRGB.  It's not free, but it's *much* cheaper to buy than
Photoshop.  It does link into the Windows CMS in 98SE, ME and Win2K.

I'd be interested in trying GIMP - it might give me a reason to keep my
second hard drive and install Linux on it.  But only if I can find a driver
for the Stylus 700 and an X engine for the TNT2 card.

Is Vuescan the only scanner interface in Linux for TWAIN devices like the
HP scanjet and Nikon film scanner?

Rob

Rob Geraghty [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://wordweb.com