Ezio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Photoshop and other I/O bound applications receive a great help in
speeding
> up from I/O ... MORE than upgrading the clock of the CPU.

Anyone wanting more IO speed at a reasonable price might want to think about
an IDE array.  Promise make an IDE RAID card - check their web site and
you'll find a link to a comparison of a 2 drive array with a 15K rpm SCSI
drive.  The array performs pretty well.  I find myself constantly frustrated
by waiting for scans to load and save.  My second hard drive is an old mode
4 5400rpm drive - the CDROM drive actually reads a scan file faster than the
old hard drive!

Price for an array: 2 x IBM 7200rpm 15GB drives + Promise RAID Controller
total cost about US$330
The cost of a SCSI 3 adapter and a suitable SCSI 3 drive would be quite a
bit more.

Rob