Ezio wrote:
> Rob , IDE drives are anyhow cheaper than SCSI , but SCSI
> is not so expensive as you think.

That depends on where you are.

>The average cost on eBay for an IBM Ultra160 18GB is around 250$ ... ;-)
>And the controller around 175$ .. Adaptec 29160 (full not N).

Except I live in Australia and the exchange rate with the USD is horrendous
- and add to that the ludicrous prices that US companies charge for postage.
 For comparison, an IBM 18GB Ultra160 is about US$375 and the adapter USD$272.
 That's US$647.  Compare that with a Promise Ultra 100 adaptor for US$118
and a pair of IBM 15GB Ultra 100 drives for US$135 each and you have something
very fast and almost twice the capacity for US$388 or almost half the price.
 By your pricing the difference is not so great, but then I'm not quoting
eBay pricing on the IDE hardware either.  Pricing aside, I doubt that I
could operate a 15K rpm drive outside of an air-conditioned environment
in Australia where the temperatures are over 25C for most of the year.

As I said before, for those who have the money and the circumstances, SCSI
is wonderful - I have a U2W interface on my computer's motherboard I'd dearly
love to use - but for for those of us with less money and less than perfect
operating conditions, an IDE array gets results which are greatly improved
over normal IDE for quite a low price.

Rob

Rob Geraghty [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://wordweb.com