At 11:49 AM 29-11-00 -0000, you wrote:
>Alan,
>        I recently purchased the Complete National Geographics 31 CDs
>of all of their 110 years of magazines plus the set of 8 CDs of every
>pull-out map that they have published. My Yamaha CD Reader/Writer has
>a Hell of a job reading the Instalation Disc for the complete set of
>maps. All the other CDs read just fine. Both sets were brand new
>unopened and not a visible scratch on the dodgy CD.
>
>Chris.

Chris, see if you can copy the disc, then check if the copy reads OK --
sometimes commercial pressings do this in *some* readers.

We have an audio player (Sony, current model, almost new) that can't read
several perfectly good looking discs which all our other players (Panasonic
(Technics), Pioneer, Wintel DVD, computer reader, computer re-writer)
recognise without a problem.

If I copy them, the Sony plays the *copies* without trouble.

If you can't copy it and it's not copy-protected, throw it back at the vendor.

Regards

Charles