David,
        I can't stress enough the need to create and organise folders
and file names.

        I stores the images from my digital camera in the form of...
                    01-Garage,jpg
                    02-Cat.jpg
                    .... et cetera

        This method does have the upper limit of 99 images, so if
you're going to go above that on a regular basis, then add another
leading zero to give a name of...
                    001-Garage.jpg

        I also use this method for Negs & Slides, taking the number
from the film frame.

        I've taken this one step further with my Directories/Folders,
the method being...

DigitalCamera
        1999
                A-January
                B-February
                L-December
        2000
                A-January
                ... and so on

        Putting the letter in front of the month keeps them in
chronological order aswell so that April does not appear at the top of
the list. You could of course use 01-January -to- 12-December to
achieve the same effect.

Regards Chris McBrien.