Daryl wrote:
> Now I'm confused (not hard to do).  Please explain to
> me "where" ICE is.....is it software or hardware?  Or
> a combination of both to get that capability?

A combination is needed to get the capability.  "ICE" per se is a piece
of software written by a 3rd party company, licensed to a number of scanner
makers - eg. Nikon, Acer and Minolta that I'm aware of.  In order for ICE
to work, it needs a fourth channel from the scanner - an Infra-Red channel
(IR).  The reason for this is dust and scratches are very obvious in IR,
which allows the software to "see" where they are.  The software then uses
various clever algorithms to resonstruct the missing piece of the image
using the surrounding pixels and eliminate the dust or scratch in the process.
 So only scanners with an IR channel can use ICE.

As far as I know, Vuescan *can* remove some dust and scratches without an
IR channel but it works much better *with* an IR channel.  There's other
software which attempts to remove dust and scratches - I think Polaroid's
Insight has such a filter, and I think there's one in PS5 (or later) as
well.

Rob

Rob Geraghty [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://wordweb.com