        [Oostrom, Jerry]  A ha, so Vuescan cleaning still uses the infrared
channel. Perhaps you remember from the thousands of mails received this year
that some person (I) once sent you a request for a cleaning algorithm that
probably does not exist yet. I thought this up myself, but perhaps a lot of
others did too and were just knowledegable enough to know  it was asking for
the impossible or could never work.

        Now I think I should propose it to this group and receive answers
from them why it is not feasible.
        (Keep in mind that I am not good at math and such).

        What I noticed with dust on slides in a neutral scan is that most of
the dust is real pitch black. With negatives it is black in the raw scan,
but has a color shift related to the white point chosen in the positive crop
file. Many times however, it will be at the boundary of the histogram.

        Can an algorithm be constructed that applies selective
softening/cleaning at parts that are at the lower boundary of the histogram
for a slide and at the upper boundary of the histogram of a negative?
        Has it already been made (does the clean filter in the newest
Vuescan already work as such)?
        Did I ruin any surprise for a new cleaning algorithm in vuescan that
can be used for the wicked scanwit and any other scanner without ICE?

        Please tell me if this idea is any good to investigate and build
upon,

        thanks,

        Jerry.