I am sorry but I fail to see how higher speed and higher
        density archival storage lessens the amount of time it takes
        to copy data from one media to another,

Once the price of copying time is paid, dividends are paid
every time the image is accessed thereafter on the more accessible
and faster medium. So the copy time is only 'lost' if the image is
never viewed more than once or thereabouts.

In any case, what with changing technology, I think we are
dependant on people caring enough to copy our data forward
into new media in perpetuity, as has always been the case.
The two most obvious ways to help this process are by choosing
media that will last until people see our genius (or at least
our value to history), or adapting said genius enough to the
times so that our living peers wlll be sufficiently impressed
to take over the task for us.

I can imagine that someday even Shakespeare could be lost, in that
humanity will have had so many geniuses of that caliber that only
the most recent million or so will ever be 'seen'.

Bill Ross