Hi Ed et Al.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>  I assume Acer fixed the multi-pass registration problem of the ScanWit 2720,
> since the
> dust removal won't work right if the infrared and color passes aren't
> perfectly aligned.

The mechanism of the 2740 appears identical to the 2720.
I think the problem is the way that Acer address the mechanism.
There's a fast, coarse motor that moves the carrier from frame to frame, and a
fine stepper that does the scan.
The fine stepper has excellent repeatability, but Acer seem fond of slamming the
carrier backwards and forwards using the coarse mechanism for no apparent reason,
whenever a frame has to be re-positioned.
(If Acer's software designers had a brain cell between them, then the other
scanner vendors would have to start worrying.)

Despite all the unecessary toing and froing of the carrier, the digital ICE works
very well, and it doesn't seem to interfere too badly with the sharpness of areas
that don't have any blemishes.
You can quite easily see where the detail is smudged around large particles of
dirt in the attached clips. (These are 200% screen grabs BTW.)

The timing for the ICE scan was 5 minutes and 10 seconds at full frame, 24 bit,
2700dpi.
Without ICE the same scan was done in 54 seconds.
The computer used was a 500MHz job with 320Mb of RAM.

Regards,       Pete.

JPEG image