-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Arthur Entlich
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2000 4:39 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: filmscanners: RE: Film Scanners and what they see.

I think the issue here is not that people were unaware that RC papers
were less archival than fiber based.  I think this was pretty much a
given, although I do recall reading at one point about the advantages of
RC papers because they did not (in theory) absorb the thiosulfate
radicals into their base (since they basically are plastic coated
stocks) which was supposed to have some advantage, since thiosulfate
radical is damaging to silver prints and take a lot of water to migrate
out of fiber paper (I usually used a hypo-clearing agent to lessen the
time necessary).

I think what Wilhelm is discovering is that RC papers often have
"catastrophic" failures which were not expected nor did manufacturers
allude to.  These include emulsion failures, binding failures, base
paper yellowing or disintegrating, sudden fading, uneven fading, etc, etc.

Art