>>> Your question would beg another ... "Is your scanner
>>> capable of a larger gamut than sRGB?"  If not, then
>>> your PS working color space may as well be sRGB, but you
>>> don't lose anything if the scanner embeds sRGB and you
>>> subsequently convert to AdobeRGB when you open the file
>>> (... but you don't gain anything either ...).
>>
>> I would think you might gain something if you perform tonal
>> or color editing in PS:  Might not results of the editing
>> operation expand into the larger AdobeRGB gamut?
>
>In theory yes ... but the addition gamut would be beyond your
>display, and you wouldn't be able to see what you're doing(?)

But if changes do expand into the larger gamut it might affect printed output.  If
you're not "able to see what you're doing" in a larger gamut then you would equally
not see what you're doing when editing a file that came in a larger color space from a
scanner.  So that limitation, if significant, wound not seem to influence choice of
editing color space.

--
Bob Shomler
http://www.shomler.com/gallery.htm