At 07:37 13/01/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Improper film storage and handling prior to processing
>plays a big part in the consistency of color and density
>characteristics of the orange mask.

not exactly. what you call the orange mask is in reality the mask plus an
unwanted image. properly stored films precessed in proper manner have
correct mask plus very low fog. if you bugger storage and/or processing
then you increase the fog. remember the mask is there to compensate for
not-so-ideal  spectral properties of the formed dyes. if we treat the fog
and the image as "positive" density, the mask will be "negative". you deal
with two images dependent of themselves and superimposed.

>Also when referring to the word "lot" are you speaking of
>same film type but different batch or are you referring to
>Kodak versus Fuji?
>Different film types (Kodak, Fuji) will definitely show visual
>differences in the orange mask.
>Also different ISO ratings have differences as well.

the color of the mask depends on used components, which vary from
manufacturer to manufacturer and/or film. it is however possible to have
films with identical mask, even from different manufacturers. it depends,
what they put into a kettle.
Bear in mind that it is not important, how does the mask look to your eye,
but how the paper emulsion sees it. and for the paper the differences may
be negligible.

>Paul
>
>> >Problem is that the color characteristics
>> >of the orange mask vary -- from one film
>> >lot to another, and in particular, as a
>> >function of the processing of the film.
>>

>>[rafe b:]
>>I can't say for certain, but my gut (and
>>my eyes) disagree with you.  Plus, I have
>>heard this from others.
>>
>>I'd be curious to hear other folks'
>>experiences and thoughts on this.

>   http://okphoto.webjump.com
>P:250-498-2800  F:250-498-6876

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow
in Australia".