you sound like a first class US lawyer. Indeed, the negative films were,
are and will be designed primarily to be copied onto a positive medium, to
wit a photographic paper.
The reason for the orange mask is an unwanted absorption of a cyan and a
magenta dye in the negative film. It was introduced some 40-50 years ago,
and still provides improved results. Negs are optimised for copying not
watching, not even scanning. Investigate metameric colors, recommend
reading "Digital Color Management" by Giorganni and Madden.
 From your response I gather, you are new to principles of modern color
photography.