Austin wrote:
>>> Typically, the image data only falls in part of the range of the CCD,
>>> and should be more in the middle, not the ends.
>> Well, that's part of my point.
>You're suggesting treating the CCD non-linearly it appears.

No.  I'm saying that the signal to noise ratio changes depending on the
input voltage.

> There is a thought to that, but I will say, that you're
> probably not going to get any better (read as more usable)
> information from it...would be my first thought.

In my experience there if far less noise in mid tones than dark tones of
a slide.

> I believe that doing either multiple exposures and/or
> multiple input ranges pretty much does the same thing,
> doesn't it?

That's something else.  I've tried to aviod the idea of hardware that is
variable because I'm just talking about a given piece of hardware - like
my LS30 - which can't vary the input to the D/A.

Rob

Rob Geraghty [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://wordweb.com