> I don't think anyone commented on my suggestion that a 14 bit A/D still
> gives more detail in the middle part of the range of values (where colour
> neg film generally is) precisely because the noise is lowest there?

I understand what you are saying, but I don't believe that's what is done,
or that it really helps in the way I believe you mean.  The A/D will convert
the same delta V over the entire capture range.  Typically, the image data
only falls in part of the range of the CCD, and should be more in the
middle, not the ends.  Typically, setpoints are applied to the high bit
data, and the usable image data is taken only from that range.  Typically,
also, that usable image data is then mapped into 8 bit data.

It is better to apply tonal curves to the high bit data, so you avoid
replication of codes, which will manifest themselves as the 'comb effect'
seen in the histogram...