> Not really following this thread so I may be missing your intent...but
> whenever I've tried increasing exposure beyond "proper exposure", the CCD
> saturates (ie blooms) on those pixels that were already bright.  This
> spills
> over into the neighbouring dark pixels and ruins them.

Some CCDs feature anti-blooming so that this does not happen.  Anyone know
if any of the linear CCDs used in scanners have this?  A way around this
problem is to throw away any pixels above a certain value PLUS its
neighbors.  These pixels get their values from a lower exposure pass.  I
have implemented this type of multi exposure for a completely different type
of application and it works fairly well.