On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Shough, Dean wrote:

> > more specific method?  I have the same problem when trying to extract the
> > most from some high contrast slides, and have not been really happy with
> > some of my multiple exposure scans for this reason.
> > Regards,
> > Julian

It's not too difficult to make intelligent
"composites" from multiple passes of a slide
or negative -- provided the scanner and driver
have good registration from pass to pass.

I've used this method on several occasions,
on contrasty images.  You'd use this in
pretty much the same situations as you'd
use a graduated-ND filter in taking the
photo in the first place.

A layer mask consisting of a gradient is
quite helpful here.

Eg., make one scan optimized for the sky,
one for foreground.  The top layer (say,
the sky layer) would have a mask that goes
from white to black in the region of the
horizon of the photo.  It's easy to set
up Photoshop so that you can experiment
with different gradients in the layer
mask, while viewing the composite image.

rafe b.