> Hi - I queried various scanners on this list several months ago and
> yesterday bought myslef a Minolta Scan Slite.  I use Photoshop on a
> Mac powerbook G3, downloaded the newest updates and scanned my first
> slide.... using the navigation/automatic so that I could at least see
> what the scanner will do.
>
> All went well and the image is appearing on my monitor.... BUT.... in
> Photoshop (in a Photoshop file), I am unable to manipulate the
> slide... it won't allow me to make new layers, won't truly select,
> and I am unable to print.  I know this is a silly basic question but
> what am I doing wrong or what haven't I done?  Is it in in the
> scanner or something I need to change in Photoshop?  I have used
> Photoshop before and cannot figure out what this is won't work?  Any
> thougts or where I should look?
>
> The Minolta site isn't helpful and so far, neighter are the photoshop
> books nor thehelp.

Hi Sara

At a guess I would say the you have scanned the image at 16bit/channel
(48bit) which is the correct method to get the best from the scanner and
will allow for greater latitude when adjusting Levels, Saturation etc in PS.

To convert the image to 8bit/channel, from the Image menu go
Mode/8bit/channel. But before you do, make any adjustments you feel
necessary such Levels, Curves, Saturation, Crop, UnsharpMask (PS6 only).

When in 16bit only certain functions are available.

Hope this helps.

Richard