On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 14:18:05 -0600  Robert Kehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> Anyway,  it seems to me that my LS-2000 just dropped in value to somewhere
> around $600 but perhaps my 4000t (SS-4000) will hold its value a little
> better, maybe somewhere around $1,200.  Response would be appreciated.

I consider the 2700ppi market a different one to the 4000ppi. The majority of users
won't need the higher res (at A4 or so there is little difference), and the costs of
a competent PC to handle the higher res scans (twice the size) are a deterrent. So
if the LS2000 already does what you want, why change it?

Re the SS4000 and Mtek4000, these already work very well indeed. The addition of ICE
sounds very attractive, but the consequent loss of some sharpness may prove
unattractive for critical use - the very reason people would choose a 4000ppi
scanner. Will ICE+4000ppi really produce a sharper, better result than 2700ppi +
interpolation...?

It'll be very interesting to see how the Nikons perform, but I think we have now
passed the point where successive generations mean large improvements in native scan
quality. The real differences are now mostly software, useability and clever stuff
like ICE. As with all scanners, there are likely to be rough edges to the software.
I wouldn't therefore be in a desperate hurry to upgrade, unless curiosity and
wanting to be first matter. In which case, flog 'em now, before the new stuff
appears in dealer lists :)

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info &