"Raphael Bustin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Sorry, this doesn't sound right.  For a given image,
> a given file format, and compression method, the
> file size should be deterministic.

You're wrong, Rafe. :)  I agree with what you're saying in principle but
what was said is true - Vuescan's LZW TIFFs are compressed better than those
from PS or PSP.  I forget what Ed said he fiddled with in the LZW
compression in Vuescan, but it uses a setting which is much more efficient
than that which Photoshop or PSP use.  PS opens files from Vuescan which are
compressed, PSP won't open 48bit compressed TIFFs from Vuescan but I think
it will open 24bit compressed ones.

As to what Ed did exactly you'd need to ask him. :)

Rob