Thanks, Ian.  I reached the same conclusion over the weekend after reading one of my
Photoshop books in which they also warned against using a single unpartitioned drive
with Photoshop.  You're right, I have an single 80 GB 5400 rpm drive and it is not
partitioned.  I plan to buy a second drive, probably 60 GB and 7200 rpm, and I'll set
aside 20 GB on it for Photoshop and SilverFast scratch area.  (I know how to use
Photoshop's Preferences to assign the logical drive for scratch area, but didn't know
that you could do the samething with SilverFast.  I'll have to figure out how to do
that.)  The 7200 rpm should also speed up Photoshop's operaton with large files.

For what it's worth, the error message I was getting was, "Photoshp has caused an
error in <unknown>.  Photoshp will now close.  If you continue to experience problems,
try restarting your computer."  It wasn't exactly a memory error, but I'm sure now
that it was a drive partition problem.

Also, my flatbed scanner, which is capable of generating large files (like my medium
format SS120) has caused similar Photoshop errors from time to time.  With the smaller
files from my SS4000, I never had a problem.  Guess I was lucky.

Once again, thanks.