Lloyd, it looks like I won't have to use TWAIN as a possible workaround after all.
Ian Lyons' post indicates that he thinks my problem is due to my using a single
unpatitioned drive for everything.  Photshop doesn't like that, it wants its own
reserved area for a scratch disc.  So I'm going to buy another hard drive and dedicate
a part of it to Photoshop.

I see in another post that Steve made a suggestion to solve your problem.  I hope it
works.  But you should also make sure that you've partitioned your drive and set aside
a part of it for the exclusive use of Photoshop for a catch area.