on 11/12/01 12:22 AM, LAURIE SOLOMON at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> To Preben:
>
> Thanks for your response and patience.  The Abit board does permit JBOD; but
> it does not provide RAID 5 as you have noted.  When I asked about what
> appeared to be a contradiction between what you suggested and what the ABIT
> manual said I did not realize that there was a RAID 5 and that this was what
> you were referring to.  I apologize for my ignorance; but I am not sorry I
> asked.  Out of my asking, I learned about RAID 5, which I would not have
> known about if I did not raise my question about the apparent contradiction.
>
> To all who have posted on the subject of RAID:
>
> Thank you; it has been an education.  I have a few additional questions that
> I need to be educated on and would appreciate any information that you could
> provide me.
>
> (1) If one sets up a RAID 0 (striping)with two 60GB disks, must each hard
> drive be the master on a separate IDE channel or can they be set up as
> master-slave on the same IDE channel?

Actually, both must be set up on the same IDE channel as masters. There is a
procedure to follow before doing so, but this is the end result.

> (2) If one sets up a RAID 0 (striping)with two 60GB disks under WIN 98, can
> one establish partitions for the array or must it be a single partition?  In
> formatting the drives to be used in a RAID array, how does one format each
> of the disks with Fdisk (each disk being a brand new disk) with respect to
> partitions?

Each is first done separately, but then there are steps to follow before
arriving at the end result. Check the website of www.storagereview.com for
details. They have a great article on setting up RAID arrays.

> (3)If one sets up a RAID 0 (striping)with two 60GB disks under WIN 98, can
> one use utilities such as ScanDisk and Disk Defragmenter on the RAID array,
> on individual hard drive disks in the array, or - if logical partitions are
> usable with the array or disks in the array - on the partitions?

Yes. Both disc are effectively one disk when properly set up. Remember, data
is being striped to both as if they are one disc.

Jim Snyder