Art,

Well, we've sort of done that with digital cameras.  They have also put
my old Pentax cameras out of service, and after all the work I did
fabricating a pressure plate that kept the film reasonably flat.  At my
age, I'm also an advocate of image stabilization - I'm taking sharp
pictures, again - hand-held!

Jim